There maybe some affiliate links in this blog post, which means I get a small percentage of each sale.
I have these amazing purple morning glories growing in my veggie garden, not sure how they got there but love them either way. So it was raining one day and I noticed the dye dripping off them, see picture, so I thought Why not dye a piece of fabric.
First I found a scrap piece of fabric to try it on, I only used hot water and the results were pretty light. After thinking about it I realized I needed more flowers and it needed to sit longer. The second time I put more flowers in the piece of the wet fabric, and rolled it up. Then I put it in vinegar for 2 days and it was much better, see photos.
As you can see it is much better, next time I think I might boil them to see if that makes it even darker. I love natural dying but have never had good luck but I love learning and trying new things. Even better the flowers were free, vinegar is cheap in bulk, and the fabric was a remnant muslin, which is not too expensive.
I have a pinterest that has both tye dying and natural dying info.